Keel laid on 29.01.1976 by J. J. Sietas Schiffswerft, Hamburg-Neuenfelde (Yard No. 775). Launched 07.04.1976 as OSTEMAAT, and delivered 11.05.1976 to Partenreederei m.s. "Ostemaat" (Management: Schiffahrtskontor Oste GmbH. & Co. K. G., Hemmoor, Germany), Hemmoor. Lloyd's Register / IMO No.: 7500774. Call sign: DIOM.

1982: Registered at Hamburg.

Arrived 03.03.1986 at Rotterdam and arrested.

23.04.1986: Sold by public auction, to a German Bank and then to Toma Shipping Co. Ltd. (Jersey) (Management: Paul Preisig, Herisau, Switzerland), Nassau (Bahamas), and renamed LAI DA TOMA (Tomasee). Official No.: 708888. Call sign: C6BW8.

1989: The management was allocated to Suisse-Outremer Reederei A.G.-Swiss Overseas Ship Management Corp., Zürich, Switzerland.

Reported from Rotterdam 01.11.1989; sustained crack in bottom plating. Arrived Rotterdam on 03.121989 for survey and permanent repairs and sailed on 08.121989 for Gent.

Sold 22.09.1994 to Nephele Navigation Ltd. (Management: Gido Lührs Schiffahrts K.G., Wischhafen), St. John's (Antigua & Barbuda), and renamed MARI GALANTE. GT: 1,721, NET: 719, DWT: 2,554. Official No.: 2633. Call sign: V2AU7.

1996: Renamed LAGIK.

2000: Sold to L & L Shipping Ltd.(Management: Gido Lührs Schiffahrts K.G., Wischhafen), St. John's (Antigua & Barbuda). Not renamed.

Grounded with bow and stern on 13.12.2000 at 19:32 UTC while turning in the narrow River Nene at Port Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire. Jammed broadside on the river, sustained a broken back at 23:15 UTC in the way of her engine room as the tide was falling, and water entered the engine room. Some light diesel oil seeped out of vessel. All 7 crew safely abandoned vessel. She was on a passage from Mo i Rana, Norway for Port Sutton Bridge with 2500 ton of steel.

Declared as a constructive total loss.

The salvage operation involved vessel being cut into three sections by Smit Tak, and the crane barge TAKLIFT I (2129 GRT/69), then further cut into 20-tonne pieces, and completed on 22.01.2001. Stern section transported to Rotterdam to be broken up.

The wreck of the LAGIK blocked the River Nene and the port of Wisbech was closed for 44 days.